The Goals of the Visual Arts program at LIS is to:
Supporting the International Baccalaureate mission statement and learner profile, the LIS Art Department encourages students to actively explore the visual arts across a variety of local, international and multicultural contexts. Through inquiry, investigation, reflection and application, students develop an appreciation for the expressive diversity in the world around them, becoming critically informed makers and consumers of visual culture. The following goals serve to empower our students with technical ability and the confidence to approach problem solving in creative ways.
- Provide a broad program of study for PK- IB, allowing students to experiment with as diverse a range of materials and surfaces as possible
- Develop respect for one’s own artwork, the artwork of other students and that of international artists
- Foster an aesthetic appreciation of our natural environment and be able to identify unique characteristics from it
- Inspire IB students with exciting projects and the technical and critical skills with which to create a unified body of work with a unique personal vision
- Empower all students to be creative and flexible in their thinking and problem solving
- Model sensitivity to one another and in our creative expressions of the world.
All Lucaya International School Music students will be visible to a wide range of musical experiences that promote individual artistic growth and fulfillment. The program focuses at students to respond naturally to music, and to opportunities to create music.
The goal of the Music Program at LIS is to engage students in Pre K – Year 8 in the active and creative processes of making, listening and responding to music in line with the 5 strands of music as follows:
- Performing - singing and playing instruments (based on theory and rhythm). Students will be offered the opportunity to perform individually and by groups, where they can showcase their individual creative musical talents. Students will gain a sense of pride, self-discipline, self-confidence, motivation, and a drive for excellence not only in music but in life in general.
- Creating and composing (basic knowledge) music history, theory and composition will be taught contextually through units of study and apply it to a wide variety of materials.
- Notation - understanding and reading music (simplified theory) Lucaya International School help each student develop, strengthen, and master musical concepts, elements and skills enabling them to have an appreciation for music and the performing arts.
- Listening and appreciation of all kinds of music (fun -active way). Students will develop an appreciation for, and enjoyment of music traditions and ceremonies, including music within their own families and cultures, and that of other cultures.
- Music and technology in the society (practical application). Students will look at 20th Century music and the various styles featured in the cultures of the many countries from around the world. Students will be informed on how music evolved through the centuries and the current trends. They will be exposed to interactive activities with music applications and collaborations.